Sunday, December 1, 2013

Ignorance is Bliss

MW: 137
Days to Race: 84
Distance/Time: 2.5 mi/ 30:33

I guess this is one of those instances that proves that you can accomplish more when you don't know your limitations. I was all set to write about my worries of embarrassing myself in Florida. I don't want to be dead last again. I know, I know, run your own race and all that jazz but still it's a bit rough.

This morning I decided to do my route backwards, which tends to freshen things up a bit. I mapped the 2.23 mile run out in my head and set off nice and easy. Considering my 10K wasn't that long ago and this was taking the place of my long run, I figured I could just have a slow run. Still, I didn't think I'd be pushing myself to complete it in 30 minutes. I've done this run a bunch of times, but when I ended at 30 min 33 sec, I chalked it up to residual soreness and poor nutrition.

After my run, I went to log the run and I was puzzled that the run I did wasn't the one I thought. It was the same roads, but a different combination, so I mapped the new one out. 2.5 miles. Not a huge improvement, but still a quarter mile better AND it was at a 12:15 min/mile pace! I don't know if I could have done it if I'd known I was reaching for something longer. The stress and pressure I would have put on myself probably would have weighed me down.

So, I started out worried about where I would be in February and now I'm feeling much better about my abilities. Maybe I'll even run the Turkey Trot again next year.

No comments: