Thursday, December 26, 2013

Butt-Hurt (Previously to be titled: We're gonna need a bigger hill)

MW: 137.2
Days to Race: 59
Distance/Time: 2.5 mi/ 30:48 min

Happy Holidays! I didn't get a chance to write on Tuesday so today is a two-fer. I promised you a tale of young infatuation with the boy next door and so I will deliver:

I've enjoyed my share of anime and one trope that continually pops up is how the school girls tend to idolize their male classmates who fit a certain ideal. And when I say idolize, I mean they turn into screaming fangirls frothing at the mouth. I was going to find a gif to illustrate this, but I ran out of time. Anyways, this trope is both amusing and I always figured completely unlike American culture. Riiiiiiggghht.

Allow me to introduce exhibit A: the quarterback. Handsome and smart, I was lucky enough to live two doors down from this guy while we were in high school. For the most part, our lives did not intersect until one day I saw a shirtless blur pass by the front windows. And then again. And again. Curious, I went to see what was going on. Our street turns into a slight incline toward the top and he was running up it and then walking down and then sprinting back up. The slobber my mom later cleaned off the window did not come from the dog.

Only a few months ago did I realize what he was doing: Hill Intervals. And last week I decided that I would do the same. Not nearly as prettily, but hey it's a neighborhood athlete tradition. At first, I thought the hill would be too small. Please note what the title of Tuesday's entry would have been: We're gonna need a bigger hill. As I started though, I could feel my muscles burning just a little. Eight more reps later and I was very tired. Still, I didn't know if that was because I was running a little harder than usual or because I was actually working my legs and butt.

My first gift on Christmas Day was a load of pain. It hurt to sit, it hurt to walk and I actually whimpered climbing the stairs. Oh yes, that hill was just fine indeed.

No comments: