Sunday, November 10, 2013

4 miles... and new shoes!

MW: 133.4
Days to Race: 105
Distance/Time: 4 miles/ 58.03 min

This run did not freak me out as much as the one before it. Maybe it was because I felt more ready? I had a plan and best of all I had new shoes! I'd known for a while that I had to get new ones. You're supposed to replace them about every 400-500 miles and the fact that I had mine for at least a year and a half means that it was more than past due. Not only the age, but also the fact that when I ran, I felt absolutely no support in my feet. Considering that I have high arches, support is pretty important and I'm hoping that some of the persistent discomfort I've been experiencing can be written off as a sign that I need new shoes.

So, I took myself down to the local running store. Actually I drove into the big city and a very nice lady helped me find the right pair of shoes. There is more to the process than just picking out the prettiest pair at the right price that feels right. She looked at how my foot handled my weight both standing and sitting as well as walking. I apparently slightly pronate which means that my feet roll in a little which most people's do. So, I just needed a neutral style of shoe. After a little trial and error *insert fashion montage here* I found a pair that I'm pleased with. They're not the flashiest, but they get the job done. Sort of like me I guess.

I can't say that the shoes made a huge difference, but they definitely helped and some of my problem areas barely made a squeak.

Next on the list is to work on strengthening those problem areas so they cause less trouble.

No comments: