Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bout of Books Starting Line! (and updates)

Bout of Books

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 8.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

I've decided to participate in the Bout of Books Read-a-thon. It last an entire week, so unlike the 48-Hour Reading Challenge, I will not be destroying myself by staying up for 7 days straight (see? there is a bit of common sense left in me!). The Bout runs from today, Monday, until Sunday at mid-night and the goal is simply to read more than usual.

My Goals

My Goodreads goal was to read 75 books this year. I am currently 4 books behind so my goal is to bring that back up.

Books to Read

-Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
-The Great Cat Massacre by Robert Darnton
-Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight
-Covet by J.R. Ward
-Anything else that strikes my fancy

I'm no longer the fast reader that I used to be and there's that whole "work" thing that'll bring me down. :-)

Updates

Monday, 8/19
Books Read Today:
Completed: Code Name Verity (also known as one of my favorite books of the year)
In-Progress: Does The Great Cat Massacre count? I've been working on it for over a week already.
Total Books Read: 1
Total Pages Read: 230

Tuesday, 8/20
Books Read Today: 2 still working on Cat Massacre and started Covet
Completed: 0
In-Progress: 2
Total Books Read: 1
Total Pages Read: 400

Wednesday, 8/21
Books Read Today: 1: Focused on Covet
Completed: 0 (so close!)
In-Progress: 2
Total Books Read: 1
Total Pages Read: 572(ish)

Thursday, 8/22
Books Read Today: 1 I finally finished Covet. A fun, diverting read, though I don't think I need to continue the series.
Completed: 1
In-Progress: 2 (Great Cat Massacre and Austentatious
Total Books Read: 2
Total Pages Read: 712

Friday, 8/23
Books Read Today: 2 Austentatious (100 pages) and Great Cat (20 pages)
Completed: 0
In-Progress: 2
Total Books Read: 2
Total Pages Read: 732

Saturday, 8/24
Books Read Today: 2
Completed: 1 Finished the last 187 pages of Austentatious. It was cute and puts me in the mood to go to Scotland for a rockstar of my very own. Can you get those duty free?
In-Progress: Great Cat of course!
Total Books Read: 3
Total Pages Read: 919 (maybe I'll crack 1K pages!)

Sunday, 8/25
Books Read Today: 1
Completed: 0
In-Progress: 2 Started King Peggy but I didn't get much time to read today. Only read 30 pages of it.
Total Books Read: 3
Total Pages Read: 949

All in all a good time! I'd definitely do it again next time. Maybe I'll even crack 1,000 pages.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Code Name Verity is a fantastic book, especially for a read-a-thon. It's one of those books you can't put down and will read all night just to find out what happens.

Good luck on your goals and enjoy your books!

Anonymous said...

I love your TBR list. Best of luck with your goals. Enjoy.
-Dilettantish Reader

Sparrow said...

Thank you!