Monday, July 8, 2013

Suicide Hill Is Not The End

Run 1: Saturday, July 6, 2013
MW: ?
Distance/Time: 1.76 mi/25 min

Run 2: Monday, July 8, 2013
MW: 137
Distance/Time: 1.84 mi/26.15 min

Days to Race: 230

I visited my parents for the weekend, which also meant I got to go running in their neighborhood. Without intending to, that meant I was going to be doing some hill work as their neighborhood streets go up and down sometimes gently and other times not so much. It is the sort of neighborhood that has a high hill on which all the fancier houses use to rest. Even when I was little, riding my bike all the way up there for the brief thrill of plummeting back down was too much effort. I'd always avoided that Suicide Hill. But not on that day.

Halfway through my run, I was steadily getting one foot in front of the other as I climbed up and around the bend. As I neared the top, I felt a brief moment of joy at my accomplishment. It was quickly deflated, though, when I realized that there was no break at the top. No resting moment. I still had a ways to go and after this, there was no option but to keep going (or give up, which was not going to happen). So, my run continued. Suicide Hill was not the end, nor was it the beginning. It was simply there to be climbed.

Today, my run was pretty straightforward. Still going further and longer, though my goal is to clear the 2 mile mark. I'd thought I might have done it today, but apparently not so much. Time to start mapping some new runs.

No comments: