Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Takayama that Wasn't and Tokyo

I'd like to say I'm still going strong, but truth be told, I sort of hit a wall in Takayama. A beautiful little town truly in touch with using its history as a way to revitalize its tourist industry, I had a list of things I wanted to do including Sake tasting and visiting the Hida Folk Village. What I ended up doing was spending a lot of time sleeping. My throat hurt and all I wanted to do was lay down and sleep.

My inn was another traditional style Japanese inn with futons, delicious (and large) meals and public baths. Very comfortable and very hospitable.

This morning I journeyed to Tokyo for my final night in Japan. I still can't believe it's over, and yet I also feel like I've always been here. I think after a time I get tired of being a tourist and just want to begin normal life again, wherever that might be. I flatter myself to think I've got an adventurous spirit, yet in the end, the one place I want to be is home. Little by little, the worries of home have started to intrude upon my thoughts.

Tomorrow, I've got the Ghibli Museum in the morning and then a few hours to do some last minute shopping before catching and afternoon bus for my evening flight out. The next time I post I'll be across the ocean.