Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 6: Travelling to Kyoto

It might sound a little hussy-ish, but I like the code of anonymity that my fellow travelers and I seem to share. Once we sit down and start talking it's like there's a rule: no names, no personal information just reveling in the intoxicating moment of travel that we're both in. It's the same questions: where are you from? How long have you been in Japan? Where have you been? Where are you headed? What did you like? Pretty straightforward and then when our time together is over, it is with a wave and a "Happy Travels" as we both got off seeking adventure. Oh yes, this method of interacting with my fellow humans suits me just fine!

I had an opportunity to speak with a young man from North Carolina who was traveling from Hakone on the same train as me. He was off to Mt. Koya, where one can stay in a Buddhist monastary and join their rituals while atop a beautiful mountain. I'd have been jealous but frankly, I'd had enough of mountains for the day. For me, it was off to Kyoto: the culture capital of Japan (or so my brochure informs me).

After checking into my hotel, I had enough time to do one thing and so I chose Nijo Castle. Judging from the tourist map, I thought the distance was suitable for a walk. Oh foolish, foolish me. Got lost, got some directions from a stylish young lady whose eyes bugged out very prettily when I mentioned I was going to walk the rest of the way, and an hour later in 90 degree heat I found the castle.

Built by a shogun, Nijo Castle has a heavy wall around it and yet features sumptuous details inside, showcasing not just the military side of the shogun's power, but also his social ranking as well (this was the guy who pretty much kept the emperor as a pet while controling the country, mind you). A remarkable feature of the castle was its nightingale floors. As a ninja-proof security measure, the wooden floors are designed to squeak as someone walks across them. It really did sound like chirping birds, too, as I walked barefoot through the halls, admiring the artwork.

On my way out of the castle, I was stopped by a group of middle schoolers from Hiroshima who had a school assignment of stopping a foreigner and asking them a few simple questions. As Neusbaum luck dictates: I was lucky contestant number 1. The shocking thing was, I saw the same group of students the next day. Japanese Drama logic dictates that Tokyo is the smallest city in the world as the characters keep running into eachother by chance there. It looks like Kyoto follows this tradition. What are the odds?

Tomorrow: I receive my second and final private tour.

No comments: