Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 8: Kyoto

Today was the first day I actually slept through my alarm, it only took a week to get acclimated. My first stop was to the eastern edge of Kyoto where Kiyomizu-dera sits against the hill. It is a shinto shrine noted for two features: the first is a balcony that stretches out over a cliff. In the past, men would leap from it and should they survive, their wish would be granted. I think there was something like an 85% survival rate. Now, there is a guard to prevent any wouldbe wishers.

The second notable feature of Kiyomizu-dera is a stream that is divided into three waterfalls that each represent a different aspect that the drinker prays for. At the time, I didn't know which was which, so I chose the two outer streams. Apparently they represent wisdom and luck in love while the middle was longevity. I can live with that.

Although it was on my list of sites to see, I literally stumbled upon Jisho Shrine. A much smaller complex, it is devoted to the Japanese equivalent of Cupid. There are two stones here about 10 meters apart and if a person can travel from one to the other with their eyes closed, then they will soon find love. Should someone help them, then their love will come with assistance. There were too many people for me to attempt it though I did throw a coin into the box and rang the bell.

From here, I continued to the Kyoto Imperial Palace where you must register to join an English tour (passport and all). The tour took us around the outside of the buildings as our guid expained the history of the building, and how it was used. One interesting feature was the room where the emperor received visitors. It had a bamboo curtain that came down so a supplicant could not see him.

The tour may have been in English, but I might have been one of the only native English speakers there. Lots of Germans and French and one young Japanese lady who was using the opportunity to better her English. It made me realize just how lucky I am as a traveller.

After the tour, I schlepped back down Karasuma Street to the International Manga Museum. Shelves of Manga lined the walls, all waiting to be taken down and read. On nicer days, visitors can take them outside to the lawn.

The exhibits were interesting, especially one that explained the flow of money from consumer to artist by using a glass of wine. As a smaller museum, it was also clearly connected to the fan side of manga as well as the offical publishing angle with exhibits on copyright, doujinshi (fan-made comics) and cosplaying. However, the 800 Yen entrance fee was a little steep.

TOmorrow, I head for Hiroshima and Miyajima!

1 comment:

Nanc said...

For some reason, this sounds like one of the more interesting, beautiful places you have seen, maybe it is in what you didn't write. Just saying...
Can't wait to hear about the baseball game!