Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 1: Travel to Tokyo

A shower has never felt so good! And during the whole thing, Henry Higgin's song popped into my head... "I did it. I did it. I really, really did it!" I've been awake for about 36 hours straight and bed is definitely in the near future.

Everything went swimmingly until I hit LAX. I hate that airport. So confusing. No signs. The only boon is the friendly staff who were very sweet to point me onto the right track. Then I was on Singapore Airlines and headed for Tokyo.

Singapore Airlines has been synonymous with heaven to me ever since I flew with them when I was 13. People say that they treat economy class like business class and they still do. I had a row to myself, my own TV with great movies, free wine and a blanket. When I spilled my second glass of wine down the back of the chair in front of me, I considered that a sign to behave...

Best of all, one of the movies was Hotaru (a continuation of a TV series called Hotaru no Hikari, or Glow of the Firefly), which is about a 28 year old woman who happens to be a himono onna (dried fish lady). At work she is all professionalism, but when she's home the sweatpants come out, her hair goes up and a beer is cracked on the porch. She's also a huge dork. In other words, it's a Japanese version of me. I hadn't seen the movie yet so that was a good time.

The flight, however was long and I was surrounded by babies that were mostly, blessedly quiet. I probably looked like a zombie coming off that plane and the customs officials had mercy and didn't ask too many questions. I can't help but feel that this country is a well-oiled machine and I am a wrench thrown into the gears... My plan is to smile and apologize. A lot.

Even after leaving the airport (familiar ground) I'm not afraid. I might be too tired to be afraid, yet.

Made it to the train by myself and then translated the word "Taxi" before seeing the English translation beneath it. Got a taxi (and communicated with the driver!) and made it to my room. It's small, reminds me of my room at Lancaster University. Only three buttons on the toilet, so I think I've got this one down.

No pictures today, maybe tomorrow when I tour Tokyo.

1 comment:

Nanc said...

So glad to hear you successfully navigated all the way to Tokyo! Not everyone can do that so good for you. Were you met at the airport, as promised??? Enjoy the city and can't wait to see pictures.
Love you so much!