Saturday, June 4, 2011

Hour 34ish

I think I have more coffee running through me than blood right now. Anyways, on to the books!

1. Finished Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore. This was one of those sneaky looks like a fantasy novel but is actually more science fiction once you know the world's back story (ala Anne McCaffery's Dragons of Pern Series), which did disappoint me a little. I prefer magic to science as an explanation in my fiction. Resenting takes place in a world beset by countless daily natural disasters that can only be turned back by teams of pairs called Sources and Shields. Sources and Shields form a life long bond as they protect the people on their planet. Dunleavy Mallorough, a newly minted Shield, is about to be Chosen by her Source. To her dismay, she is bonded to Lord Shintaro Karish, the most legendary Source of their generation. All in all, a fun bit of fluff and I intend to read more into the series (this was the first). The characters were fun and the world had much to explore. The only weakness I found was that Dunleavy's issues with Taro were not exactly fair. He was a playboy, yes, but he never exhibited the qualities that she disliked him for.

2. In the end, I only finished The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter so that I could stretch it upon the rack and flay it with my criticisms. But I will be kind and limit my extreme dislike of the book to two points. A: I did not care for the story. and B: The heroine fell under the category of too stupid to live. Really, if someone was trying to kill you and had killed others, would you open a strange, unmarked Christmas present while mocking those who warned against it? Which actually brings me to a third issue I had with the book: Greek gods + Christian themes should NOT mix IMO. After reading Abandon by Meg Cabot, I have to say I truly dislike Persephone/Hades retellings. Dude was a grizzly old man only after a pretty young thing in the myths. I guess Hades is now the new sparkly "Princes of the Night" style vampire (which I also detest). Wow this review was cathartic!

3. I am 93 pages into Love and Rockets edited by Martin H. Greenberg. It is an anthology of Science Fiction Romance short stories that is unfortunately more in the Science Fiction camp than the Romance. It is a nice break, however for other books.

Up next: ehhh... I'll surprise you.

No comments: